Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Timelessness of Jules Verne


I grew up reading Jules Verne and HG Wells – the fathers of 'steampunk' before moving on to Orwell, Asimov, Bradberry, and Gibson. Science Fiction has always been my genre of choice. Recently I began to reread 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and was again reminded of the creative and future-sighted genius of Verne.

From the submarine Nautilus to the spacecraft Columbiad Verne's fantastical machines were as much works of art as they were practical vehicles - all polished brass clockwork fueled by steam whose ethereal qualities added to their mystique.

When I saw an article about the Corpus Clock I was struck with the idea that Mr. Vern would be pleased to see a project like this come to fruition. And the fact that the art behind this practical clock is a metaphor for fleeting time makes this something that we can all appreciate.

Watch the video. It's incredibly cool.

No comments: