Monday, October 20, 2008

Do not get Scammed by an 'Astroturf Movement'


I've heard so many people say that the internet is inherently evil. But it's exactly as evil as the real world that we live in, and conversely just as good. You have to be careful in the real world, so be careful on the internet.

I'm always trying to demystify the internet and educate my friends and family about Internet safety, so when I read a very good post in PC Magazine stating that 'grass roots' looking sites were the next big thing in phishing I knew I had to make a quick post. My friends and the people where I work are just the kind of people who might get scammed by these kinds of sites because they all have hearts for God.

An article in PC Magazine by maven John C. Dvorak introduced me to the notion of 'Astroturf campaigns' that target good hearted people who want to help try and change the world. I urge everyone to read the article here.

I do not advocate Mr. Dvorak's call to be suspicious of everything on the internet, but I do recommend caution in everything you do there.

NOTE: And this next section is for my Parents. My mother has begun to utilize her first internet connection and email account:

"I promise, Dad, no one can steal Mom's identity on the Internet unless she puts her name and credit card out there, honest!!! I love you and am proud of you both!!!"

"For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of sound mind"
2Timothy1:7

No comments: